Saturday 29 December 2012

I am who I am for a reason.


Four years ago (I can hardly believe it) I was lying in my bed, and thinking. Panicking really, would be a more adequately descriptive word. I was panicking, as I looked around my room and thought of leaving.

I was 18, freshly out of High School. I had just gotten my braces off, and I was preparing to move out for 6 months. To upper Queensland with a bunch of strangers, to do – well, I really wasn’t sure.

As it turned out it was the best six months of my life so far, and I stayed an additional 6 to prove it. It was wonderful, life changing, and my first baby step to independence.

But I remember that night so clearly. Looking around my four walls, and thinking, “but I love this place”. And I do.

My country, sure, my city yes, but my room specifically. I love my room. It’s cluttered and messy, most of the time, but it tells a story, and says so much about who I am. 

"It looks like a bomb went off in here!" and, "it's a pig sty!" were common in my childhood. On one family occasion, all the extended relatives even hiked upstairs to see the state of it, they couldn't believe it, and apparently - everyone had to see it for themselves. 

We moved when I was 3, and we’ve lived here ever since. It sounds strange, but my room is one of the things that I miss most when I’m far away from home. It is home, in many ways.

And now, as I plan to pack it all up and move my life abroad, the time has come to cull. And box up, and throw away. This process is sad, but necessary.

A new year, a new room, a new life, a new country. Bring it on, and welcome to my world. 


my goo hoarding draw. 
Africa.

CBM 2012 calander.

great.

in Oregon, a favourite.

I got in! I was excited.

Written and drawn by a beautiful friend.
Who is Australian, grew up in Papua New Guinea, travelled with me
to East Timor and wrote this from Thailand.
I love that.

My favourite animal; the Tapir.
This is by Ngaire (the bird that us). She's wonderful, and a graphic designer.
And wonderful.
Please tell her that next time you see her.

I am a nanny, so this is prized.

Wipeboard schedule.

USA 07'

Overflowing book shelf plus East Timor wall hanging.

cleaaaann meeee.

Third Year, Second Semester.

Room 3: stolen from High School.
Papers: full of book ideas
Sticky Notes: Reminders
Note Paper: for letter writing.

I love this.

Ignore me and embrace the chaos.

Note the unmade bed, amazing blinds, cascading dresser and pure perfection.

Newest welcome Christmas addition. 

My African mama.

Papua New Guinean grass skirt.

Keep cup.

Family & German Christmas cards from far away friends.

elephants in the tree. 

besties.

Piles of borrowed DVD's, and love letters.

goo and glue and candy wrappers.

coffee, pens and external hard drive. typical.

2012 diary.
left slot: Orange HOPE documents
right slot: US visa stuff
middle slot: "things that need immediate attention"

mi amor.

22nd.

For someone who never ever ever wears sunnies, I have a lot of sunnies.

written so many years ago I don't even know.

I live with an old greek man.
(and a puppet pelvis)

a terrible movie, and a wonderful gift.

2012 journal.

bedside book pile.

this giraffe book mark makes me smile every time I see it.

Bible.

more (&never ending) goo.

photo walls.

UW.

this may have even come with the house... 
yet another.

my beloved.


No comments:

Post a Comment