Wednesday 26 September 2012

they didn't have any corn starch.



They didn't have any corn starch. 

We stood in the isle of Woolies as not one, two, or three - but four people in the end, tried to find the corn starch for us. Finally it was suggested that we try glucose, or googling an alternative. 

We used normal flour, and into the night, we baked poppy seed cake (side note: just typed 'poopy seed cake' instead, and considered leaving it that way). It was good.

And now I have 3/4 of a giant cake freezing in my freezer. Can you freeze cake? I do not know.

I feel incredibly guilty for not blogging for so, so long. It gets to a point where I'm too far gone, and I complain to the people around me, welling in my guilt, "well, what would I blog about anyway?"

My life is the same-same, I'm working 12 jobs (twelve? what? that's not a typo.. I am however, working at Typo now). I now nanny for 2 families, do accounting stuff, and work in 9 different retail stores.. selling clothes, shoes and stationary, depending on the day.

I probably say, "Hi! How you going?!" more then anything else. 

 I'm doing uni work consistently, but am currently finishing up a two week break - thank the Lord - as I was, and still am, really in need of it. I'm still running, still speaking for Orange HOPE, still taking on way too many things at once. I'm organizing fund raising dinners for church, eight of them, I'm leading the services this month and I'm entertaining.  Not having people over, just me as a person - in my current incapable, over tired state - I'm an entertaining person. I have some great Americans coming to stay. This weekend, we're going to the mountains.

I've lived out of home for over a year of my life, but I've never really been this independent before. I've never had to work, and cook and clean, and do the food shopping, and walk the dog, and fit in sleep, and do the washing up - and be the one to run outside when the rains are ere' (Marge), and the washings on the line. I've never had to be the one to take the bins out, and think about defrosting the chicken the night before. After forgetting, consistently, I'm now "that person" who defrosts the chicken in the microwave. Gross. 

Yesterday I was bitterly dissapointed that I only got 4, as opposed to 15 cents off of my petrol. Who am I. 

I’m the girl who drops her notes during church announcements, and then goes back to her seat only to sit on her coffee – that’s who, apparently.

I'm the girl who forgets to take shoes to a job interview.

I'm the girl who has a fear of ordering over the counter, and so makes her brother do it. Last week he ordered, "breast of chicken", this week "500 fillets". He forgot the grams

I'm the girl who ruins pancakes, microwaves plastic, and gets up at 5:30 by choice.

My parents are in Namibia, and me and my little brother (he's 19.. not so little) are ruling the roost. Independence looks a little strange in our household, complete with many spontaneous dance parties and a sticky kitchen floor. I set the washing on a timer, 19 hours in advance, and with my stuff all around the place - it's quickly becomes a bachelor pad. Bachelorette pad?

Turns out I'm a compulsive liar, and if I've ever told you that "I'm a really good cook!", you should probably stop believing me. I'm a really enthusiastic cook, that's accurate. See some photos below.

Cooking for two is hard, when you're used to cooking for five or more. And therefore I have a litre of custard, almost a whole apple crumble, half a jar of pizza sauce, 7/8ths of a jar of pesto, 12 olives, off cheese and an entire poppy seed cake between my fridge and my freezer. Maybe I'll make a trifle. 

Anyway, here's a little snap shot of what independence for me looks like. Sorry for the silence. I'm alive!

my room.
symbolic of my life.
chaos.

MY HOUSE.

the coffee machine migrates down stairs!

socks. every where. 

I make brownies!
Then realise they taste awful.
And I'm the only one to eat them.
So I eat them all.
(they're still awful)
my brothers sublte suggestion that I should
take my things up stairs.

my laptop has become a home to animals.

I serve this and say, "it's breakfast for dinner"!
when really it's just cold eggs, burnt pancakes and chunky noodles.

we got a dog!
surprise mum and dad!

why use your bedroom when you can use the whole house i say.

2 people. 1 day.
HOW.

this happened.

frozen mountains.

something I have been wanting to do for years.
KEEP THE PEGS ON THE LINE.
genius.

anyone want to come for dinner Wednesday?





2 comments:

  1. (: I love your posts, they're so funny.
    And it's not just beecause it's 1am in the morning
    and I should probably be going to sleep instead of writing my report and worrying about paperwork for Africa.

    (: I totally didn't know that Ben was your brother, but then I mean I met him on SWED weekend away, and was like I CANT BELIEVE THIS? haha (:

    you're an inspiration (:
    keep running this race for Him !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the super delayed reply! SO good to hear from you. Thank you sooooo much for reading, and even more for commenting! What a blessing.

      And yeah! Ben's pretty great :) We're basically the same person, diffrent genders, haha. I'm a lucky sister!

      Oodles of love & blessings,

      B

      Delete