Thursday 4 October 2012

she packed her bags and rolled them to the sea

There are only four reasons I can think of why anyone would willingly enter into an international long distance relationship:

1. They hate life.
2. They enjoy pain.
3. They prayed for patience.
4. He/ she is worth it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

The title for this blog post comes from a dream I had, when I was in the middle of my "brainstorming" stage for my writing major work.

I was in that zone, the one between sleep and awakeness, when your head is on the pillow and you're willing yourself into the mystic oblivion. Where you get genius ideas and smudge the edge between reality and dream state. And it was in one of these moments where, in a strike of absolute brilliance, it came to me, that exact sentence;

"she packed her bags and rolled them to the sea".

I had the image of this girl (short, sort of blondey/ browney hair - curly, completely fictional) getting up one night, opening a suitcase, packing her things and doing just that, rolling it to the edge of the sea. Staring at it, in dreams of her far away love, letting the laps of the waves roll over her toes and wet the bottom of her PJ pants. Actually, she might wear a nightie. A white one, I think.

There would be sand, crusted to her arches and her hair would blow in the cool night air, awash with salt. She'd taste it on her lips, wishing he could (did I really just write that? ..).

She packed her bags and rolled them to the sea. She took a deep breathe in, allowing the memories of that place and the crisp gifts of nature fill her lungs, before exhaling it into the past; and with one faithful step, she went forward.

"You're not engaging with the theme".

I didn't engage with the theme, and so this whole idea - this whole story, this whole stroke of midnight genius, got washed away with the brilliance of it, despite the fact I yelled "BUT IT'S BEAUTIFUL!" in my teachers face and threw a tantrum on the class room floor.

If you ever can't find me, you know where I'll be.

Here's some numbers for you.

Six weeks left of school - ever (maybe). Two months till he lands. Seven months till I migrate. Four speaking gigs in the coming weeks. Eight dinners and lunch fundraises being run by my church, for Orange HOPE this month (blessed). One; the number of meals I cooked, and threw straight out this week. Ten thousand; the amount of olives I've consumed in the past two days.

And here's some recently enjoyed things:

the three sisters.
on a long weekend.
with American friends.
being still for a half second.
Creation.

yep.
THE SIMAID CALENDAR IS HERE!!!!!
& I'm a little excited about it.

!!

finding Costco.
And feeding my new addiction: craisins.
1.3 kgs worth.

this photo of the Obamas makes me happy.
{I have no political stand point}
just a human one. I love cuddles. 
new & updated photo walls.

my city.
always to be enjoyed.

hand made mug.
because it's all about the mug.

coffee and imperfect hearts.

this one.

this tucan jug.

waffles and ice cream.

right now!
curly hair and sun and "getting work done in my swimmers"
right.

GINGER BEER.
(not so much ripping the pull off)

2 comments:

  1. Always inspiring. I know that half awake state when new creative writing pieces come to you - pen and paper to hand before they are lost. And I love those orange nails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture made my heart get SUPER EXCITED! I LOVE GINGER BEER!!!!

    ReplyDelete