Wednesday 1 February 2012

CHAI WALLAH


Chai tea is my vice.

I don’t drink coffee and I take my tea with 50% milk and 5 sugars. My mum refuses to call it tea, and instead prefers the term “sugary milk water”. I tend to agree.

This makes chai perfect for me, it’s not only my ticket out of potentially awkward coffee dates, but it's my dream tea: sweet and milky.

I’ve been and done the sachets and the syrups and although pretty good, they just won’t do.

So, fellow chai wallah’s, here’s my favourite recipe for some wildly delicious home brewed chai goody goodness:

CHAI TEA

(This serves 6 people. Or just me, a good book and a perfect afternoon.)

1.     In a large saucepan add 3 cups of milk (I use light soy milk personally) and 3 cups of water (I use water personally), and ¼ cup of black tea.




2.     To this liquid mix, add 3 cloves.

or 4, if you can't count.

3.     Then, 3 crushed cardamon pods.

I use a hammer. I'm sure this isn't the right way.

4.     Then, 1.5cm of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced finely. 

it comes time for this recipe's debut and i don't have any fresh ginger.
typical.
& so, ground is okay too.

5.     And finally, add one cinnamon stick.


6.     Bring the mixture to the boil, and simmer for 3-4 minutes. 

boiling & spinning.

7.     Remove from the heat and stir in sugar to taste (be generous! It’s supposed to be sweet).



8.     Strain the mixture to remove the spices, and pour into glasses. 



9.     Enjoy life’s finest. 

favourite mug of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment