Wednesday 24 April 2013

well, Toto




I guess "we're not in Kansas" anymore dones't really apply... since it's one state over, instead of a whole world away. 

But, figuratively speaking, I'm not in Kansas anymore! 

BECAUSE I'M HERE! 

Nebraska here. 

America here.

The United States of America here.

Sort of. Physically I am. Mentally and emotionally? Now that's debatable. 

It's currently 3:44am, and I am wide awake. Wide awake, emotional and really frustrated. I want to sleep so bad, but my body just won't let me. I guess it thinks it's 6:44pm, tomorrow. 

I slept great last night, but I've probably had 15 hours in the last five days. I'm exhausted. I'm also starving. My body clock and appetite is all messed up, and in three days I've literally eaten a banana, a slice of bread, a sandwich and a bowl of cereal. I'm famished at all hours of the morning and not at all hungry at usual hours of the day.

Don't freak out mum, I will learn to eat tomorrow. I promise. 

I've never had jetlag like this before. And it's horrible.

It's also freezing. Like one degrees "oh it might snow today" kind of freezing. Apparently, I need to buy some pants. Eugh, pants.

Feel free to ignore all that, as it's written through tears. Very, very early morning tired tears. Because really, life is good. Really.

It feels... right, being here.

You know how you think you're going to feel different when you're in a different country? Yeah I don't feel different, I just feel like me. 

Me driving on the wrong (right?) side of the road. Me paying with strange green paper money. Me rocking up in shorts and thongs all the time. Me saying things like "ounces" and "college". It's just me, but here, trying to figure that out, one hour at a time.

This morning, I spent 20 minutes staring out my bedroom window filming a squirrel, with the most enormous smile on my face. Let's be honest, squirrels are the real reason I came to this country. They're just so great.

Okay so you can't even fully appreciate it from this ridiculous video. But it made me really happy.



Nebraska is about ten thousand times bigger then I remember it being. It has buildings, and things. Sorry to those Australians who I misinformed about that. On my final flight, I talked to a guy who grew  up on a corn and cow farm. I had a good chuckle, because it's so ridiculously stereotypical. But people are so nice here. And their accents are awesome.

When I was getting lost in LA airport (waiting for "8" bus which turned out to be the "A" bus... accents, I'm telling you) I was talking to another guy and our conversation went something along these lines:

Him: "oh you're from Australia?"
Me: "Yeah.."
Him: "Where abouts are you heading in the USA?"
Me: "Nebraska"
Him: "......... but, why?"

I don't know what he was talking about. I like it.

My four flights were all together fine. I sat next to nice people, watched moderately entertaining movies and over-dosed on sleeping pills.

And then, as the end got closer I got more and more excited, and more and more ready, to see my wonderful Americman.

And he's here, and I'm here, and life is good!


2 comments:

  1. Where is the "Like" button? Moving to the USA is weird. It seems so much the same on the surface, but is so very different when you scratch the surface. Enjoy the things that are the same as well as discovering all the differences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! and LOVE your take on aMERica! Keep writing...it will help you through the transition...and I love reading what you write! ps. I will be blogging soon myself... :)

    ReplyDelete