Thursday 13 June 2013

Gods country never sleeps


"They call it Gods country" he told me, as we stood in the middle of the road, with just breath-taking mountain ranges surrounding us on every side.






This past week and a half has been absolute happiness for my soul.

Lying in the mattress in the back of the R.V, and watching out the back windows as the moose, glaciers, bald eagles, and treacherous mountain passes slid me by, kilometer after kilometer, I knew why.

It was Gods country.

Gods country also never sleeps. There's also nothing quite like laying your head down at 11:30pm and having what looks to be perfectly midday sun streaming through the windows of your log cabin home. It just.. doesn't get dark, it just doesn't.

What a strangely beautiful land, my God created.

We flew into Anchorage Alaska, and rode the R.V up to North Pole. Yep. The North Pole.







And everything my boyfriend has told me about that place, is actually true. The light poles really are just like candy canes, and Santa's house really does have a yard full of reindeer. Nobody could conclusively tell me the difference between a reindeer, a caribou and a moose. The hunt continues.

On the way up from Anchorage we played in the snow, went white water rafting in Denali Park and popped a tyre in a tiny Alaskan town (which got 45 feet of snow last year).




I've used phrases this past week and a bit that I've never used before; like "there's a moose in the sleugh!", "cute bunny boots" and "where did you put the bear spray?".

There was an absolute invasion of Australians up there, I met at least fifteen, and I did a lot of thinking, about home, and what that is, and God, and who He is. For surely, Christ has my heart and home is where He leads me.

Who am I, with that identity, and what does that mean. 

I tell you, Alaska is an easy place to do a quiet quiet time.

We went hiking, and we ate. Salmon and crab and Mexican and the best Chinese on the planet. And bagels and oreo's and omelettes and blueberries and waffles and strawberries and redbull kickers and steaks and potatoes and moose. I gained at least ten pounds.

We went mini golfing, rode a train, took Old Time photos, hung out with family, went four wheeling, went to church, went for bike rides, visited Santa's house, shared with a youth group, went canoeing, drank coffee, went walking, hung out with Miss Alaska, met the Governor of Alaska, climbed a football goal post and was yelled at by some native Alaskans.

Great things about Alaska: the air is fresh and clean. Moose exist. People drive big trucks, and have big bellies. Moose themed pyjama pants. Moose themed everything. Log cabins. Canoeing at 10:40pm. 

Tough things about Alaska: the Winter. The light/ dark dichotomy. The plague like quantity of mosquitoes  The fact we have to go home (jokes.. but really). 

What a blessing, life is. And what a journey I'm on. The Alaskan man and the girl from Sydney, who met in Townsville, live in Omaha and are slowly, but surely, taking on this crazy beautiful world.




And next week? We head to Minnesota. 

Watch this space. 

And in no particular order:





























































Australia!!













































































































No comments:

Post a Comment