Friday 19 July 2013

Friday, forest-turkey licking good.

Today, I was tempted to spray one of my customers in the face with my bottle of table disinfectant. I didn't do it, but oh; I was tempted.

I was also reading Hebrews yesterday, where it says;

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathise with our weakness, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

Now I don't know when exactly Jesus was tempted to spray somebody in the face, but I'm going to choose to take the Bible literally in this instance because my temptation was real, and the mental image is amazing.

Point being, Luke is away in El Salvador, and I'm trying my best not to be El Sadador.

Want to hear a funny story?

SO. 

I've been babysitting Luke's brothers dog the past few days, while they're both away. I've been living in his house.

{Side note: the dogs name is Hobbes, and he's awesome. At least two hundred thousand pounds of American bulldog, he has became my favourite buddy. I've never slept very well with somebody else in my bed, but with Hobbes it's a different story. Probably because he's not a somebody (technically), but still; it was good practice, with the squirming and the farting and all. I'd hope that a future man wouldn't sleep with his head resting on my butt, or breathing stink directly and open mouthed into my sleeping face.. but then again, you never know...}

Point point being, I haven't been at my apartment, and instead I've been travelling from one work to the other, and back down town to Luke's; to let Hobbes out to pee, take him to the dog park, and give him some food.

Yesterday I went back on my lunch break, and there was something on the door. 

Bakers Flowers, it said; you've missed a delivery! And it had my name right on it. 

I called them up and sure enough, they said they had a big basket of flowers for me, and that they would turn around. I cried and waited for the truck to come back, and come back it did; with an incredible array, and a little note attached.





'I love you to the moon and back', it said, 'no matter where we are in the world'.

Wow! I thought, what an incredible boyfriend I have! He must have pre-arranged this. On a day that certainly wasn't the best; it was the greatest blessing.

He's away on mission and he's still thinking about me, my heart sobbed through happy tears. Wow. Wow. Wow.

So, I took a quick picture, posted it on facebook, and shared my gushing love for this man, with the world. 

Did I think about the fact that it was strange, that they were sent to his house, and not my apartment? Did I think about the fact that they were delivered, at a time when he knew I was at work? Did I think about the fact that never before has he called me "bestie" - as the note was signed off? Well no.. I was IN LOVE!

Then, early this morning (after seeing the post on facebook, with 50 something ridiculous likes and a bunch of beautiful comments) he messages me.. "this is going to be funny" he says, "but I never sent you those flowers."

Oh my. What an embarrassing mess.. for me, for him.. for the person who actually sent them...

And then with that in mind, I thought a little bit clearer. I dusted off the rose coloured love goggles and saw through the haze. 

My bestie doesn't live in Australia. My bestie only has my man's address; and wouldn't know my apartment. My bestie is amazing

Luke gets all the credit for being boyfriend-of-the-century (which I think he is anyway!) while my longest, dearest friend; who lives in Germany, isn't properly thanked for her ridiculous kindness and overwhelming globe- defying generosity.

So here's to you Katie Mac, I'm a little bit crazy about you!

Thank you for the flowers. Once again, like you have so, so, so many times before - you made my day!











I think I'm better looking in Australia...

On a different and hilarious note, there was this old couple in the restaurant (they were in their 80's) who were obsessed with me today. Some of my favourite quotes:

Him (being a hilarious 84 year old deep American drawl speaking man)

"I've been married 58 years, and you know what? I could leave her tomorrow... In fact you look good.. what are you? 12? Everyone looks 12.."

"Them Australians.. finest people in the world.. friendliest... what are you doing here? You tell your man to stop waisting time, you're a long way from home and the people there are much better anyways.. you should leave tomorrow! You tell him you're leaving tomorrow.."

Then his wife puts her hand on my arm,

"Don't listen to him honey," she says, as she tunes him out and pulls food from her teeth. 

Another customer took the time to tell me I have pretty eyes today, and it absolutely and positively made me beam a million.

What a great deal of good a little encouragement can do! 

Things I miss greatly about Australia this week:


- People who just know me well, and get my humour

- Spontaneous barn-dance inspired dance parties before Youth Group
- Spontaneous shakira inspired dance parties in my brothers bedroom
- Dance parties; all kinds
- Weet-bix
- Beach days
- Playing Dominion
- On that note ^ playing all and every board game

On my running route back home, I see bush turkeys every day. I'm actually convinced that God made those creatures as a personal blessing to me; they're amazing and ridiculous-looking. This morning, I saw a bush turkey on my running route here! I was blessed. I laughed, they don't even have "the bush" in America; not like at home. I think the nearest comparison would be the forest. A forest turkey? That's awesome. That's what I'm calling them from now on. My forest turkey friends.





I love the fact that I have conversations about why I’m an Australian living in Omaha, whilst my boyfriend blesses kids and ministries in El Salvador, and my best friend – who lives in Germany, sends me flowers with love notes. Life is good.

Friday, forest-turkey licking good.



No comments:

Post a Comment