Tuesday 1 May 2012

shocking ramblings.


I’ve heard a lot in recent months about culture shock. And sure, it’s something I believe exists; I’ve experienced it before. I have to say though, more-so with re-entry, I’m much more adaptable then I give myself credit for.

After coming back from Papua New Guinea for example, I found it hard to wear anything that wasn’t baggy and long; I felt naked and awkward with too much bare skin.

the height of PNG fashion.

yep.

how I keep the boys away I have no idea.

This is kind of funny considering what I wear here in comparison to everyone else, I’m at least 50% more naked then most people, pretty much all of the time.

exhibit A.

exhibit B.

They say it comes in cycles though, this culture shock. An elation, a devastation, a frustration and then a consolation; mixed with sacrifice and a better understanding. They say (who are these they?) that this entire process takes anywhere from 6 to 12 months, which is unfortunate, as I’m only going for be away for 4 all together, across two totally opposite cultures, and by this logic – I will only reach the frustration stage and come home absolutely defeated. Something to look forward to.

But, week 6 out of 10 in Seattle and I’m really finding home here. I have routine, and I’m busy and I’m loving this city, and these people – and this time. I’m already freaking out and getting emotional over the fact that I’m more then halfway done and that I just don’t want to leave. I’m building some wonderful friendships, and meeting some incredible people. I want to have more conversations, more city adventures, more d&ms, more late night café runs, and more impromptu movie nights.

God has been teaching me a lot. About myself. About people, place, relationships, and circumstances. And if that sounds like the broadest thing ever, that’s because it is. There’s been bits of revelations all over the place, and I’m still tying them all together into any real thoughts.

I want to post something with meaning this week. It’s been a while, too long, since my heart for Orange HOPE has been shared. It’s hard being an Ambassador from a million miles away. I feel guilty being here and not there, investing in my ministry. But I choose to believe that I’m here for a reason, and Gods timing is perfect, and I’m challenging myself to see this time not as an excuse to gain, but an incredible opportunity to give.

How can I use this time to be a light and to serve this pretty city?

Still figuring things out.

In other news I have some new addictions. The most shocking being coffee, the drink which up until recently I’ve referred to as either “Satan’s brew” or “headache in a cup”. This is day 5 of my new addiction and as my new American belly will agree, I now have a favourite Starbucks order: White Chocolate Vanilla Soy Mocha, extra hot. Truly amazing.

me. right now.

I can also add Lucky Charms cereal to that list. And pickles, because I’m a disgusting individual. And the gym - thank the Lord.

Rambling, rambling. Here’s some recent snaps!

This is the Freemont rocket. It exists for no reason.

i like.

Stalin statue? sure.

showing some lovin to the locals.

the berlin wall. because we're tourists.

freemont.

new favourite eats.

introducing the pav' to the yankies.

my life.

Seattle underground tour.

& again. i so appreciate my tourist weekends!

Have a great week wonderful ones! (that’s you).



No comments:

Post a Comment