Sunday 17 June 2012

tapirs & travels


I went to the zoo yesterday and saw a bunch of, including my favourite, animals.  Now I’m a fairly compassionate/ emotional/ shy person. Nothing breaks my heart more then seeing an old person fall over, if somebody else makes a mess I’ll clean it up, I find it super hard to say no, I will never ask for anything if I’m over at a friends house unless its offered, I can’t stand to hurt or disappoint people, I cry when other people cry – no matter the situation, and I simply love animals. I’ve always loved animals but I didn’t really know how much until I came to America, it’s not that I love animals more, it’s that I’ve come to realise – with the hunting and the cooning and the fish battles – that not everyone is quite like me, and there are a lot of people who love animals quite a lot less. I love dogs. And puppies, seals, tigers, beautiful big birds. But my favourite animal, bar none, is the tapir. When I tell people their usual reaction is “a what?”, but I love them and this is why. They’re hideous. They don’t really serve a purpose and nobody else in the whole wide world, in their right mind, would have them as their favourite animal. And so, I’ve taken it upon myself to be that one, to bring a little justice and make the tapir feel loved. Is that weird? Am I being weird? I don’t mind. I love them and think they are great.








ps: leaving Nebraska at 6am tomorrow, to Philadelphia.
pps: this time next week I’ll be in Malawi

No comments:

Post a Comment