Thursday 5 April 2012

becoming Becca


Here, Bec isn’t the automatically shortened form of Rebecca. Becca or Becky, sure – but Bec isn’t common.

Bic? Beth?

No, neither. I’ve come to say, “like Rebecca but shorter” at the end of every introduction. It seems to roll off peoples tongues kind of unnaturally, kind of like aluminim and college roll off mine.

told you! but i officially live here now! thanks to my RA.

But I guess this kind of shows how things are different here. Similar, but different – in some ways that aren’t even tangible, or I can’t pin point – but different.

Still loving it.

This week has gone so quickly and I haven’t had a half hour where I haven’t been busy, or had several things I’ve had to do. It’s been a week of firsts, first time at two new church’s, first toga party, first snow (SO amazing!!), first Walmart, shot my first gun, saw my first sorority, ate my first pickle and got my first tattoo. Jokes, mum – I didn’t get a tattoo (one day).

!!!!!

best morning ever.

so. surreal.

turns out my first snowman ever is the best snowman ever, who knew.

It’s been super fun and super exhausting, and as a result (mixed probably with the cold and the sleeplessness) I’m sick – and woke up this morning completely unable to get out of bed, or work out, or do anything really other then drink tea and generally feel sorry for myself. 

im that hardcore.

terrible form, apparently.

But it’s given me a little time, tucked up with blankets and NyQuil, to catch up on some reading, write my first paper and, well – blog.

tea, blankets and homework.
"get better soon" gift from my amazing roomie.

This weekend, starting tomorrow - is Easter. The first I’m pretty sure I’ve spent away from my family. It won’t be too different really, I’ll still eat chocolate, and go to church, and reflect on the goodness and the glory and the grace of the cross. 

oh America.
It’s weird being me here because everything that makes me who I am at home, my home, my family, my responsibilities, my friendships, my dreams, my space and my activities – aren’t here, and it’s bizarre, because it shows me, is showing me – what’s left when all that’s gone. Distance is wonderful in this respect, especially at Easter. Because without the routine of my family, and my service and my normality, all else is stripped away and I’m left with the raw, global, eternal Truth of these words:

Romans 6:8-11

 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.
 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.


And it doesn’t matter where I am, or what I’m doing – this Truth remains.

I think that’s beautiful.

I’m humbled and thankful this weekend. This is Truth outside of circumstance.

This week, Orange HOPE is at Easterfest in Tawoomba – getting our name out there, meeting a multitude of young people and generally raising the awareness of HIV, and our cause. It breaks my heart a little bit that I can’t be there, but I know, with the team that’s there – that it’s going to be a brilliant, ridiculous, memorable time. 

my face still made it!

I guess that makes two of us.

Happy Easter everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment